Find it Fast! Add a Search Box to Forms in QuickbaseFeb 04, 2021
Demystify Quickbase relationships with this course
If you have parent records with LOTS of children add a search box to the form to make finding the 'right' record easy!
It can be frustrating (and eye-straining) to sift through page after page of information looking for a specific record. Adding search functionality on a form to quickly search & filter a report of child records is easier than it sounds.
In this example, I use a LEGO data set to search the minifig part category for parts that match descriptions like "princess" or "batman". All it takes is a few new fields and an adjustment to one report.
Steps to add search to the form:
- Add a "Search Term" text field to the parent table/form
- Add a "Search" Formula-URL field to the parent table/form
- Update the "Search" field's formula to reload the current form (see Resources below for details) NOTE: double-check that the table's advanced settings have the box "Save parent record automatically..." is checked
- In the relationship between the parent & child, add a lookup for the "Search Term" field
- On the parent table, update the report used to display the child records to include a filter for the field containing the value in the "Parent - Search Term" field (this is the lookup field that was just added)
- Test your search!
If you do not want to display an empty report when no search has been done, follow these additional steps:
- Add a "Search Match" Formula-Text field to the child table
- Update the formula in the "Search Match" to the search term if present or the field that's being searched (see Resources below for details)
- Update the parent form's embedded report filter to use the "Search Match" field in place of the lookup field
Get the Action Button Toolbox referenced in this tutorial
Formula #1 - Search
If(IsNull([Record ID#]),"",URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=er&rid=" & [Record ID#])
Formula #2 - Match Term
If([part_cat_id - Search Term]="",[Name],[part_cat_id - Search Term])
Feeling like a Junkie? Subscribe Now!