Import from ClipboardSep 05, 2023
Sometimes, I just find it easier to use Excel when I'm organizing data to add to Quickbase.
In this example, I copied some notes I had into an Excel spreadsheet so that I could organize them before adding them as records to Quickbase.
Rather than saving the file and importing the file to Quickbase, I often prefer a quicker route using the clipboard.
This is true whether I'm adding a single record or thousands of records.
- Prep your data in Excel (add the field names to the first row to minimize issues)
- Copy the data using Ctrl + C (⌘ + C if using a Mac)
- Navigate to the tabel where the data will be imported
- From the table's home page, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner
- Select "Import/Export"
- Select "Import into a table from clipboard"
- Click in the big empty box and paste using Ctrl + V (⌘ + V if using a Mac)
- Click "Import Data..."
- Verify your data looks correct with the right headers and fields selected
- If everything looks good press "Import"
🚧 Caution: If your data has commas in it you may have issues with this import method as the comma will be treated as a delimiter and the data will be split over additional fields. If this is true for much of your data, the better option is to import from a file. If you only have a few commas you can circumvent the issue by placing quotations around the entire value for that field.