What's the NEW Pipelines Designer?Sep 27, 2023
Are you curious about the new Quickbase Pipelines Designer (currently in beta)?
I was recently building a pipeline for a client, and I decided to take advantage of the new pipeline designer.
While doing so I got to try out some of the nifty new features! 🤩
To showcase the new features, I created a simplified version of the problem I was solving.
The basic challenge was to connect a child record ("Measurements") to a corresponding parent record ("Multipliers") using a pipeline.
In the video, I build the pipeline step-by-step while highlighting exciting new features along the way.
Starting the New Pipeline:
- When you create a new pipeline, you'll be prompted to try out the beta version. Quickbase will transition towards making this the default experience.
- The new designer offers an unlimited canvas, a significant departure from the older, more constrained design.
Defining the Initial Steps:
- To begin, I set the trigger to the Quickbase channel's step "Record Created" and selected the "Measurements" table.
- Instead of dragging and dropping steps, the new designer allows you to add steps by clicking on the plus signs.
Searching in Quickbase:
- The next step involved searching in the "Multipliers" table based on the max measurement value.
- I set up a filter to ensure it only returned the relevant record.
- After finding the matching record, I updated the triggering record in the "Measurements" table with the related multiplier.
- The new designer allows for custom names and notes, making it easier to document what's happening in the pipeline.
Modifying the Pipeline:
- One of the advantages of the new Pipelines Designer is the flexibility it offers. I decided to insert a condition to only update the relationship if it wasn't already established.
- I demonstrated how easy it is to insert steps within the new designer. Just be sure it hasn't caused any issues downstream.
- I also show how you can toggle a field view using the </> icon to show the Jinja notation. In other cases, this toggle will reveal the field IDs or table IDs. When writing Jinja it will also suggest fields based on the first letter you type. How cool is that! 😎
Adding an "On New Event" Trigger:
- To address scenarios where existing records are modified and not just added, I deleted the original trigger and added an "On New Event" trigger.
- Replacing the trigger previously would have required rebuilding the entire pipeline!
The new Quickbase Pipelines Designer is definitely more flexible when it comes to both building and modifying pipelines. No longer do you have to painstakingly plan your pipeline before building OR endure the agony of having to rebuild a pipeline when changes are needed!
Please note, this video only covers some of what the new Pipelines Designer can (and will) do. As Quickbase continues to improve and expand this feature, we can expect even more exciting capabilities and enhancements... without too many hiccups along with way 😊
For more information on Jinja see the resources below, or skip right to the good stuff and get the Intro to Jinja for Pipelines course today!
Additional Pipeline Videos/Posts:
Jinja Date & Time Cheat Sheet:
- What is Jinja?
- 2 Ways to adjust dates in Pipelines using Jinja
- How to Access the Current Date or Time in Pipelines
- Time Zone Troubles? Fix it with Jinja in Pipelines
Feeling like a Junkie? Subscribe Now!